Summer 2019 日本語リンク
ESOL Basketball is an immersion program for students entering grades 7-12, interested in rapidly advancing their English language and basketball skills on the campus of St. Thomas More School in Connecticut. Students enjoy 4 or 6 weeks of high quality instruction in the English language and in the game of basketball. The academic part of the program is integrated with our Summer Academic Camp and students will experience a content-based program with courses chosen based on a review of their academic program at their current school.
The first part of the 4 or 6 week program focuses on daily ESL or Academics plus basketball instruction. The final 2 weeks of the program provides daily basketball and ESL instruction with our partner, the Connecticut Basketball School, the oldest summer basketball camp in the United States.
You will receive:
- Individualized content-based ESL instruction – designed to meet your needs and interests – including pre and post language proficiency tests
- Exposure to specialized language and academic vocabulary in literature, science, social studies, the arts and mathematics
- High level instruction by active basketball coaches and college/university players with a focus on shooting techniques, footwork, movement on offense and defense, plus weekly competitive games
- Intramural sports and waterfront activities with fellow summer@STM students
- Division 1 College Experience Seminar which includes college tours and discussion of the application process and a college athletics recruiting overview
- Field trips to Six Flags New England, Brownstone Quarry, Ocean Beach, Minor League Baseball Games, Trampoline Park, Laser Tag, Mini-Golf, Local Carnival with Fireworks!
- Visit the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts
- Residential dorm living with friends from all over the United States and the world.
Option one: July 20 – August 16 - 4 weeks of intensive ESL and Basketball instruction - $5,950
Option two: July 7 – August 16 - 6 weeks of intensive ESL and Basketball instruction - $6,950
Option three: July 27 - August 9 - 2 weeks of intensive ESL and Basketball instruction - $3,550
Limited spots are available so regsiter early.
Sample Schedule - Weeks 1 & 2 Together with Summer Academic Camp
1:15 All School Meeting
1:30-2:15 Organized Activities
2:30-3:30 Personalized Basketball Instruction and Skill Development
3:30-4:30 Basketball-specific Strength and Conditioning
6-7:15 Basketball Scrimmaging
PM study Hall
Sample Schedule Weeks 3&4 or 5&6 in partnership with the Connecticut Basketball School:
9:30-11:00 Guest Speaker/Stations/Skill Work
12:00-1:00 Lunch/Swim Time
2:00-4:30 Individualized Instruction/Skills/Scrimmaging/Games
4:30-5:00 Swim Time
7:00-10:00 Competitive Games/Films/Guest Speakers
Thursday: Play-Offs Begin
Friday: Championship/Award Ceremony
About the Connecticut Basketball School:
Entering its 58th season, The Connecticut Basketball School has set the bar for other camps for decades. Led by Coaches Nick Macarchuk, John Resier, and Johnny Kidd, the school takes pride in its longevity and reputation in the basketball community. Focusing on individual skills development, team play, and sportsmanship, the school strives to develop the whole player. Its lakeside setting ensures that students have a traditional summer camp experience.
For More Information Contact:
Associate Director of Admission/Athletic Liaison
Transportation to summer@STM:
By car: See our directions.
Air and Rail: Transportation to and from airports and rail stations can be arranged through the business office. Escorts for campers who are traveling as unaccompanied minors can also be arranged with proper advance notice. Amtrak has regularly scheduled service to New London, CT. The station is approximately 15 miles from campus. For domestic flights, most fly into Bradley International Airport (Hartford, CT) or T. F. Green Airport (Providence, RI). International students typically use JFK International (NY) or Boston Logan (MA).